Looking at the starting condition of the back bedroom wall.

This picture shows an overall view of the back bedroom outer wall. I started with the idea to caulk the gaps between the horizontal wall panels and then paint the window trim. The starting place would be the wall next to the water heater alcove. The wall space is short, on then to the window frame. Then I will work toward the fuse box.

Note the left bottom corner trim is missing. The pieces were found and set aside. A look toward the top of the window frame.

While not obvious at first, the left side of the window frame has been moving outward. There is a gap between the frame and the inside wood. The reason I found this is because some of the horizontal wall planks were bowed, causing a larger than normal gap between them. Some of these gaps are too big to be filled by caulk, so I need to fasten the errant planks back to the wall. Here on the right side there are also gaps in the window trim edges but this time it is the wood shrinkage over time that is the culprit. This trim piece can be repositioned to close the gap.

I needed access to the ends of the wall planks, so the window trim on the left side is removed The window balance weights are behind the trim wood trim. These weights are still attached to their ropes.

The reason the planks are pulling away from the wall is here. The nails used to fasten the planks have cracked the wood and over time shrinkage caused the wool to pull away from the nail heads. The dark holes with cracks running through them are places where the nail head has disappeared into the wood as the plank pulled away from the wall. Using nails again to repair this would be folly, so the repairs will be done with properly installed screws.

The working table with the first wood window trim, tools in use for removing wood without damage, also eye and hand protection. These are the parts of the lower left corner window trim that fell off. They were found nearby on the ground.

Front side of the window trim wood. Back side of the window trim wood.

More of the wood window trim removed. The window balance weights are from the right side were both had their ropes ropes break at around the pulley locations. Both weights had crashed into the bottom wood in the channel. Removing the window trim revealed the choppy end pieces and broken wood planks. The entire area was full of fractured wood, to repair it the gutter drain pipe and wood trim beneath it had to be removed to expose all the wood in the wall.

Beginning with the bottom plank and a single screw, the wall starts to be reattached to the house frame. Look at the nail sticking out from the bottom end of the plank. The wood used to be even with the nail head, look how far the wood plank has moved in. Now there are three screws fastening the plank firmly back to the house frame. That nail head on the bottom used to be even with the wood, now the nail is sticking out 3/4 of an inch.

In order to be properly installed, you cannot just push the screw into the wood by force with power tools, that will just crack the wood like the nails did previously. To do it right I made use of three sizes of drill bits, a countersink tool and a Phillips head power bit for my hand held power drill. This is the lower panel after reattaching with screws and hammering the bottom nail back in.

Continue To Next Page

Return Home